To maintain a pest-free home, take these precautions:
- Seal cracks in your home’s exterior to keep pests like ants, spiders, and cockroaches from getting inside.
- Be sure all doors and windows are properly sealed with tight-fitting screens and weather stripping.
- Don’t leave uncovered food sitting out. This is an open invitation to ants and can attract flies that might land on it and spread harmful bacteria.
- Do not allow pet food to sit out overnight, indoors or outdoors.
- Consider storing clothing in plastic boxes or pouches to prevent fabric pests from getting to them.
- Ensure that the attic and crawl space have proper ventilation. This discourages cockroaches and other pests and also improves the efficiency of your home’s heating and cooling system.
- Remove debris and loose stones or bricks from around your home. These are very inviting to pests, especially rodents.